Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Science and Technology Club

SUCCESS!

Ok, ok, maybe this is a little premature, since we've only had our first meeting, but I will say that I for one had a good time teaching the little lecture I put together on flight. I told the students the basics of airplane flight, showed them some books that they could borrow for more reference, and then we took some of the balsa wood airplanes that I got in a package (thanks kitty!), and we threw them around, trying to see which model would go the farthest, and why. The kids loved it when one of the planes did loops. Then, we went back to the library and the kids made their own airplanes out of some index cards I'd found. It was a fun little lesson to start with. I think that next week we are going to work on simple machines (screws, wedges, levers, maybe even, gasp, a pulley)- I've got my carpenter working on making some simple shapes out of scraps for us, and he is even making me a peg board so that I can better demonstrate the principles. Today, a form 1 who isn't even taller than me yet borrowed a book about airplanes that I'd pulled and put on display under the 'technology club' poster. I'd say thats progress.

melissa

No comments: