Friday, February 11, 2011

Ant Problem

I have an ant problem. There is really not much to be done about it, I keep all of my food in ant-proof containers, and the dogs make sure that there isn't a bit of food on the floor, but the ants seem to be ok with eating anything- dead insects, book glue, my backpack (why, I don't know, but they always seem to be on it). Sigh. Some day, I'll have nice things, and a house that isn't infested with things I only used to see on the discovery channel... someday.

Things here are good, as you know, the rainy season is my favorite, so I am generally happy. I also have a pretty exciting stack of books sitting in my bedroom waiting for me to take them to the beach down the road. Yup, its a good life alright.

In my most recent packages, I received some science type kits and a bunch of science books, which has inspired the staff to start a science and technology club. Now, I am no science teacher, but I think I'll manage. I think it would be cool to get the kids to make contraptions, sort of like what we used to do with tinker toys when I was growing up, and hopefully I can give small lectures about physics and simple tools. I have an idea in mind that we'll all make crazy contraptions a la Rube Goldberg that will solve all of our problems. This is, of course, not going to happen, but a girl can dream, right? Hopefully my local carpenter can help us by providing scraps of wood and things for a low cost, anyone who would like to send tinker toys or gears and stuff in their next packages will be very popular with the kiddies, I'm sure.

Otherwise, no new news!

Love,

Melissa

2 comments:

Patricia Mac Donell said...

I know you're looking forward to resuming your life in the US but - be in the moment...ants and all. Your adventure will be over sooner than you know and you'll be on to another. Love you, Mom
PS
Glad to hear of the science experimentation. Re-read "Boy Who Captured the Wind" if you doubt the importance and power of the tinker toy!

Anonymous said...

The title is The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.