Thursday, September 2, 2010

I'm 24!

So for my birthday, I got scratched by a cat, so now I'm in Lilongwe for a series of rabies shots. It happens. The bus ride down here was pretty awful- I was standing the entire time (8hours) and it was crowded, there were points where I just hated everyone, but I made it.

Weird things happen on busses here- chickens running around, a girl puked on me once, just, you know, weird stuff, but yesterday I had the strangest thing happen to me- I was paying for my ticket, and I guess a hair of mine was drifting around, heading to the floor, because, you know, hairs detatch sometimes, it happens, and the conductor picks it up off the floor and looks at it, and examines it with a woman sitting nearby like 'hey, do you know what this is? It's probably hers', and then they try to give it back to me, and I'm not having it, and then they start shoving it at me like, 'no, it's yours, take it', and I just kind of lose my cool, and just go off Ricky Ricardo style, speaking in rapid English that I know they can't follow- because what the hell? Then they laughed at me.

And that happened to me.

Now I'm in Lilongwe for a few days while they give me my set of rabies shots, I probably don't have anything to worry about, but it's better to be safe. I guess I don't mind, because now I get to spend my birthday with other volunteers who are passing through Lilongwe or are on med hold too. 24, I need to start thinking of a good quarter life crisis (because moving to Africa isn't enough)

beep

2 comments:

Patricia Mac Donell said...

Happy Birthday baby girl! I will be thining about you at 11:50 PM which is the time you were born... beautiful and contented. Love you, Mom

gomsu1988 said...

Happy birthday, mel!