Monday, September 6, 2010

Azungu Blues

So, I've been hanging around Lilongwe for a while now... I'm getting frustrated. I got my last shot today, so tomorrow I'll be able to get my med hold money meaning I can get out of here the day after tomorrow. Eesh. I'm tired of the city- today some guys were harassing me on the street, making kissing noises and being generally degrading- I didn't even think about it, I just hit one of them and told them all to eff off.

******Warning, I am about to describe something gross, if you are squeamish, don't read on********

I saw the doctor about a thorn in my foot too, I stepped on a thorn a few weeks ago and my feet were never quite clean enough to tell if I got it out or not, but I could feel it was still sore. After a few days of intense scrubbing at Mufasa's Lodge (where the showers are amazing, Piotr can attest), I noticed the heel of my foot where it was sore was kinda discolored, so I decided to show the doctor.

I showed him the callus on my foot where I knew where the thorn was, and though he said that it wasn't a good place to go cutting into people, after about ten seconds of deliberating, told me to get up on the table. Our doctor Erfan loves to cut people, he just can't resist. Honestly, it didn't hurt so much because the bottoms of my feet are really tough now, like hobbit feet, and my foot was just scarring around the thorn, but Erfan sounded a little too excited when he discovered pus. He dug around for about ten minutes and eventually removed the thorn tip (it was little), and now I have a hole in my foot. I was excited to show my friends, I won't lie. My friend Sol also had Erfan dig a splinter out of his foot after me, and was a little dissappointed that I stole his thunder.

Volunteers are weird.

No comments: