Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stuff I've Used

By popular demand, how I've used things from my packages:

-I traded pens for fruit that my women's group used to make Jam
-My markers have gone dry from my students using them so much
-The yellow beach cover up was adored by all when I visited Nkhata Bay
-Chocolate was devoured by me
-Hector promptly took her new chew bone and lost it (dumb dog)
-My neighbor's daughter tried to eat one of hector's doggie treats (no comment)
-After reading, I traded magazines with some of the artists in my village for art (thus boosting literacy rates and the beautification of my own home)
-My iwes played with everything in my home
-The Umoza women's group made a bunch of baby dresses from donated pins and needles (though our supplies are running low on needles because the tricky things get lost)
-Coffee helped me survive life
-I mixed cheese powder packs from macaroni and cheese with potatoes to make scalloped potatoes, and also with tomato sauce to make cheesy spaghetti sauce
-I rationed my M&Ms for a month (it was worth it)
-Beef jerky kept me healthy when I couldn't afford to buy eggs
-People magazines kept me company until midnight one night when I couldn't sleep from lonesomeness (what has Kate been up to since Jon left?)
-I made many many many outfits from the patterns and sewing kits sent (the most successful being a jacket I banged out last week)
-Every time we get a new book, the students fight over it in the library (and some have started wanting to read the novels!)
-Novels sent to me have kept me sane (currently reading 'The Magus' as sent by Auntie Helen- tell her we need to chat)

so there's just a little idea of how what you send gets used. As always, coffee, summer sausage, jerky, reading material, and things for the library are always wanted (as well as any other strange thing you think would make me smile)

Out

beeb

1 comment:

Patricia Mac Donell said...

I was so happy to read how everything is being put to good use. Love you (as always), MOM