Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Camp Sky Day 2!

Hello everyone! I am here at camp sky- my kids (aliases Ken and Olivia) love it. Last night Olivia seemed kind of sad and lonesome, when we signed up for extracurriculars, she made a beeline to my 'sewing' table and was the first to sign up, which broke my heart, but she cheered up today after the first round of classes. For a lot of these kids, this is the first time they've been away from home, so you can understand why they would be a little withdrawn at first.

Hanging out in the staff room with all of my Peace Corps friends is a lot of fun, we're all really getting into our lessons, and since we have a lot of materials, we can really kick them out of the park- construction paper and markers is refreshing after all these months rationing them at site. We're teaching root words in the English classes, so I'm getting my fill of prefixes, suffixes and roots- my mind is reeling, I'm going to kick the GRE's ass.

Our camp director Elisabeth has been working like crazy to pull all of this off, I can't believe it, I could never do her job, but the results are amazing! A lot of time and effort has gone into making Sky a success, especially on the part of our wonderful donors, so if you want to help next year's kids have as much fun as the 2010 group, please donate- Camp Sky is a wonderful Peace Corps Malawi tradition, and all proceeds will continue to benefit students in future groups.

I love you all, I can't wait to come home at christmas time!
Beeb

1 comment:

Patricia Mac Donell said...

Hey Beebs, Please have kids make cards for Uncle Ranald, Aunt(s) Helen and Mary Beth and ME! I will dig up addresses and forward them via email. Love you and have a great time at Camp. MOM