Friday, February 19, 2010

IST & Senga Bay

Hey guys! I know I'm spoiling you with all the updates, be glad. I realized the other day that I've been in this country for almost five months now... woah, time goes by kinda fast, dosen't it?

Yesterday after school I headed down to my friend Jesi's house to the South of me to break up my trip to Dedza. I need to be in Dedza by Sunday, and if you know anything about traveling on public transport in Africa, you'll understand the need to break this trip up. I got in right before sunset, which was a disappointment because I didn't expect a trip from Chintheche to Nkhotakota to take FIVE FUCKING HOURS. Look them up on a map and marvel at how not far away from each other they are, and you'll understand my frustration.

Today, after a nice leasurly morning hanging out on the internet and eating cream buns, I am heading down to Senga Bay for a bit, then off to Lilongwe and Dedza for my IST (inter-service-training?). I am excited to eat protien at every meal on Peace Corps' dime- I plan on gaining 5 pounds- don't freak out mom.

On the subject of weight, I had a site visit the other day from our Peace Corps doctor, Dr. Max, who is a Malawian. When he got out of the car he was like "oh, you lost a lot of weight", so I said thank you, but then I realized that he was not really happy about it because it means I'm not really eating well, which is true- I could really use some protien... send protien packets please, and vitamins I'm going to get rickets.

That is about it! Have a nice weekend everyone, I love you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Eat your beans young lady! And pork up on Peace Corp money. Love, us.

Beeper said...

beans = not a full protien... thanks Peace Corps handbook on nutrition! Now I can read about how bad my diet is!

Beeper said...

beans = not a full protien... thanks Peace Corps handbook on nutrition! Now I can read about how bad my diet is!