Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hello 2010, how is it?

Hey guys! So I rang in the new year Malawi style, and have decided that my new year's resolution is going to be to keep living in Africa and not get sick. I think its a good resolution, but it might be a little difficult to keep, although I haven't gotten really sick thus far, knock on wood. To be honest, I have been more healthy living here than I was in the US- around this time in Michigan, I would have been rocking a pretty fierce head cold and probably a sinus infection- so I guess what I'm trying to say is Malawi is maybe more sanitary than an American High School. One thing I have been noticing is that when I bruise it takes FOREVER for the bruise to go away. I have a pretty big one on my leg that refuses to fade, and it has been a few weeks. I take the centrum the doctors give me, but it isn't enough I guess.

My house is coming together- I made a mess this week sewing myself a skirt. I think that a house becomes a home when you can get it messy, until then it just isn't yours. I don't have a sewing machine, so I do everything by hand, but I have more time than I have money for fabric, so in the end it works out. I used some really cool brown tie-dye fabric that I got from the Tanzanian market in Mzuzu while I was in there for re-supply, and the pattern that Zach sent (thanks baby!). I think it looks nice. My next plans include some Pj pants, and some tops and dresses using the other patterns he sent, the fabric was only 800MK for 4 yards, but I had to buy the whole 4 yards- ah well, it is definitely worth it to have something to do.

I have been integrating into my community slowly- the other day I was supposed to go with a neighbor in my area to see her house, which is about 2k down the road, near the lake. She showed up at my house as planned, but told me that she actually had to go to some sort of party having to do with a wedding, and that she would like to take me there instead, if I didn't mind. Party? How could I mind?

So this woman (Mrs. Banda) takes me to her friend's house, where they fussed over me, wrapped my hair in a chitenge, and then gave me one to wrap around my waist that matched so I would look more like a member of their club. I guess the party was a fund raiser for their bridal shower planning group- that's right, they are a party planning committee, and even better, they have uniforms. The uniform of the day was black skirts with chitenge wraps over their hair and gray t-shirts, only the t-shirts were obviously bought from the market, and so they all had different things screen printed on them. My neighbor's shirt had motorcycles on it, it was the best shirt by far. By the way, African markets are where t-shirts go to die. If you ever send something to good will, and then they can't sell it, it goes to Africa- I have seen Malawians wearing things from most big 10 schools, and the other day I saw a shirt from Aquinas college. Now you know.

Anyway, after all the Amayi suited up for the big to-do, and I was adequately dressed like a Malawian, they fed me, and gave me a cat. I am very allergic to cats, but I am more allergic to the fact that I have rats in my house, so now I have a cat. I decided that I would name the cat Bob, because of the real Bob's skill at killing animals, I originally was planning on getting a dog and naming it Bob, but the cat needed a name.

So now after we have eaten, we start heading to the party, where there was dancing, and a lot of other stuff that happened. When all of the Amayi in the group danced, they made me get up and do it too- I guess now I'm a full member of the group. Have you ever seen me dance? My dancing is worse in Africa, but nobody seemed to mind. The party went on for a really long time, so me and my neighbor ended up going home pretty late. On our walk, she introduced me to a lot of people, but she changed my name from Melissa Small to Melissa Banda. I asked her why, and she told me that it is because I am her daughter now, so that is my Malawian name. I told her my parents would be surprised.

Megan, Thom- that is why I wasn't able to talk to you the other night. I was at that epic party when you called, and didn't bring my phone. Please forgive me.

Otherwise, things have been going well. I feel like I reached a turning point where I am no longer so lonesome at my site, because I am starting to meet new people, and find out about PCVs in my area. My house is comfortable, and I like the teachers at the school. Also, I was talking to some PCVs who told me that the first 3 months at site are kind of rough, because you don't know anyone yet, and you can't leave, but that soon, I'll have lots of little peace corps functions to go to, and events to look forward to, and that's when the time really starts to fly. I hope so.

Word on the street is that in the next few weeks, a big dinner with the president of Malawi is going to happen, and that all PCVs are invited, so that's the next thing I have to look forward to. I'm always in for a free meal with friends, and hopefully I can pick up my mail- I know that I have a lot of mail waiting for me in Lilongwe, and I am anxious to get it. When I find out the address, I will let you guys know what the PO Box is that I can use here in the village I live in, so that I can get mail more directly over the next two years, but you can still send things to Lilongwe, I'll get it eventually.

Much love, I miss you all, and can't wait to ring in 2012 back at home with everyone. Keep in touch, and stay safe.

-Melissa Banda

3 comments:

gomsu1988 said...

New Years, huh? I've got MRSA again, so New years was miserable. Thank goodness that there are still some antibiotics that work against it

Let Zach know if you need any other sewing supplies and we'll see what we can do.

Unknown said...

I can't believe you were gifted a cat. Too bad Carrie isn't there. I miss you a lot, but I'm not sorry you didn't answer the phone. That's awesome. Welcome to your new family! Love, Megan.

Unknown said...

Melissa,
you are probably right about the T-shirts, but as it happens, Clement Chiwaya of Malawi--more specifically, Mpondasi, attended Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan for four years. He graduated in Dec. 2002 and returned to his home country where he has led a number of efforts to bring fresh drinking water to his village, build a new school and also won election to parliament.
It's possible the Aquinas T-shirts you've seen may have come from him or those whom the College has associated with during our efforts in Malawi.
Thought I'd let you know. By the way, Clement has polio and has spent much of his adult life in a wheelchair.

Marty Fahey
Director of College Relations
Aquinas College, Grand Rapids, Michigan

P.S. Hope you bruise heals!