Friday, January 8, 2010

The Giant Pile of Garbage

...is OFFICIALLY gone from the library!!! I am SO effing excited about it, let me tell you.

it all started earlier this week when I was visited by the country director, who checked out the school, and dropped off some mail for me (by the way, thanks Gracie, Piotr, Auntie Alison, Rica, and Patrick for mailing me!). Anyway, while he was here, Vic took some pictures of the computers in the library, and the giant pile of garbage, just for kicks. Afterward, the whole staff kept talking about the fact that he took pictures of the library, and about how really, something should be done about the giant pile of garbage. Just to be clear, it isn't really garbage- it is actually furniture and stuff like that, heaped to the ceiling of the library in the back corner- there is even a motorcycle in there- or there was, yesterday, today, it is gone. So, basically, I kinda sort of suggested that I could work on getting materials for the library, but only if it was clean first, and then today, as I was giving my form 1 students a quiz, I saw a steady stream of students slowly trucking the things out, into another storage location at the old headmaster's house. Oh, this is so exciting for me, I never thought I would be so excited about garbage.

Maybe I should explain the origins of the giant pile of stuff, for those of you who don't know, well, back in 2003, a teacher had to leave his job at the school, and left all of his stuff behind. For whatever reason, it all ended up in the library, and has been sitting there ever since. Today, at a staff meeting, one of the staff members was worried about the things being damaged in transit, because what if the man returned, and some of his things were broken? I told him he could talk to me. They all laughed, but I was serious.

Ok, last minute at the internet cafe! I love you all!

3 comments:

CL Reed said...

A motorcycle? That's...odd. But you get to help stock a library, which is really awesome!

I told Bob about the cat, and he is really excited that you own something that will be killing rodents. It has a deadly tradition to uphold in the name of Bob.

Virginia ("Ginn") said...

My brother sereved in Peace Corps (1980's) in northern Malawi and at COS made decisions that kept him there. If YOU get to the area around Rumphi in northern Malawi, ask about Byron Jys Mawinogo...he is kind of a legend there. Pewrhaps you would enjoy visziting his farm on the escarpment above Lake Malwi with the wonderful view of life in Tanzania. My spouse and I are RPCVs - we served in Ukraine for 27 monthis in 2005-2007.
Read my Malawai Journals: www.pulverpages.com or my CALEB Library Project at www.pulverpages.com. WishingYOU well on your big adventure...do good work and enjoy life.

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

gomsu1988 said...

Do you need books? I have plenty I can send you. The book club ladies brought school supplies for you. I'll be sending off a package this week. The Savory Sisters are following your adventures now,