Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Language Intensive

Hey guys! I'm really spoiling you with all of these updates, aren't I?

Thanksgiving was fun, I ate way too much and made myself sick, what can I say? It's the American way. I bought some really cool bags from a health volunteer who is working with a women's groups, I'm trying to think of a way to send some home, but I clearly don't make enough money for that kind of mailing to happen, so I'm stuck. The ambassador was really cool, we got to swim in his pool, which was amazing.

After Thanksgiving, we headed off to language intensive, which for me, meant I headed towards the lake where they speak Chitonga. It was beautiful, seriously, I'm probably the luckiest Peace Corps volunteer ever to be able to get to live so close to the lake here. I'll try to get some pictures up, but (suprise, suprise) the internet here isn't exactly faster than a speeding bullet. I really feel like my language skills are getting better though, at least, I hope they are, seeing as our big test is coming on Friday.

So that's the news with me here. Thank you to anyone who has sent me mail, I love to hear from you all, so write letters- big long ones*.

*Carrie, get your mind out of the gutter.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Not just Carrie. Your big, long, turgid letter kept me fascinated, too. I will send some huge ones in the near future!
And send cool phrases in Chitonga. I want to be a cool hipster for my kids.

gomsu1988 said...

Hey, Melissa,

Vicki Morrone from MSU will be arriving in Malawi next week and staying for six weeks. She has volunteered to bring back letters, etc for you. She was in the Peace Corps 20 years ago and knows what it's like to try to mail things home. Her e-mail is morronev@msu.edu.

You're rght that I help with the care packages, but Zach collects things to send to you and I supplement. We sent one today and another will go out tomorrow. We found out that Dec 4 is the last date for guaranteed international delivery by Christmas so we sent some Christmas treats.

Zach mentioned you would like some yarn to knit him a sweater. How much do you need? I'm not a knitter so I don't have a clue.

I'm on him to get the grad school applications in. We are going to send some in this weekend.

I just finished reading "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind", which gave me insight into Malawi. You are doing a wonderful thing. I know you will inspire young Malawians to better themselves.

Kitty

Patricia Mac Donell said...

How can it be I just discovered this blog?! I was glad to review all posts outlining your journey thus far. I'll be calling tomorrow as I love to hear your voice - and, "circuitous" tales.

Discovered by reading Kitty's post that I missed Christmas mailing deadline date but, will be putting a package of fun surprises in the mail tomorrow. Also, please let me know if you received the package which included books and art supplies (you've confirmed receipt of all other materials).

Love you, Mom (PS, I've been doing my best to support Schuler's in your abscence)