Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Show, meet road.

Alright, I'm packed. For those of you who don't know, the Peace Corps is pretty strict on the amount of things that you are allowed to bring. Specifically, according to the handbook, I am allowed to bring:

"Two checked pieces of baggage with combined dimensions of both pieces not to exceed 107 inches (length + width + height) and a carry on bag with dimensions of no more than 45 inches. Checked baggage should not exceed 80 pounds total with a maximum allowance of 50 pounds per bag"

Now I have my 80 pounds of luggage, my 45 inches of checked baggage, and a bit of a back ache. In case you were wondering, these are the things that I brought:

Bag one- a hiking style backpack courtesy of Megan:

-sleeping bag (bought on my trip to New Orleans, right Courtney?)
-pillow
-jumbo sized camping-type strap compressing bag thing (currently in use to compress the sleeping bag and pillow, courtesy of Piotr)
-3 person tent
-hat with cooling crystals (as seen in Utah)
-Bandanna
-Doc Martens (from 1998... I had a Daria phase)
-not one but TWO solar showers (thanks Auntie MA and Uncle John)
-TONS of batteries (thanks Aunt Kathy)
-Utility tool/ awesome knife (thanks Kimberly)
-Various locks (laptop, bike, padlock)
-Backpack (a backpack inside of a backpack. Meta)

That's just the first bag. 30 pounds of awesome.

The second bag was my birthday present from my mom, this is the fifty pounder:

-Scrabble
-Knitting book
-Knitting needles
-Yarn
-Embroidery book
-Embroidery floss
-Sewing Book (Imma learn to make my own clothes. For real this time.)
-Harmonica book
-Harmonicas (one from my trip to Memphis with Robert, one from Uncle Spike)
-Two flashlights
-Nalgene bottle (from my mentor teacher!)
-Travel French press
-Extra glasses (from Auntie MB and Uncle Tom)
-Calendar (handmade by my beautiful cousin Courtney)
-Various chargers
-Surge protector
-Toiletries bag (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.)
-Clothes (some shorts to wear under my skirts in Malawi, T-shirts & tank tops to wear underneath my dresses in Malawi, p.j.s)
-Flip Flops

Now for my carryon, which does not exceed 45 inches:

-Books (Spectrum Guide to Malawi, Lonely Planet Africa, Shame of the Nation, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Say You are One of Them)
-DVDs
-Tin full of photos (tin courtesy of Rica)
-Journal (from Carrie)
-Book lights
-Sun glasses
-Head phones
-Camera
-Lap top
-Peace Corps paperwork
-ipod
-Wallet
-2 changes of clothing for staging (business casual... whatever that means)
-Stuffed bear (to use as a pillow, and for moral support)

I probably missed some stuff, but as you can see, I did not bring nearly enough books. If you are scratching your head about anything to send me, the answer is books.

1 comment:

CL Reed said...

I'm so happy you actually managed to bring all of that stuff with you. I am also impressed you could carry it. Props!