Monday, September 7, 2009

Stalking

A few weeks ago, I went to New Orleans with my cousin to work for Habitat for Humanity, and to drink and dance and eat a lot. While we were there, I got to get back in touch with a friend from way back who is currently in Teach For America New Orleans. She told me that before she started her training, she felt like it was all a mistake- she would show up on the first day of training, and they would say 'oops, sorry, there was a mistake, you don't actually belong here.' I know the feeling. Maybe it's nerves, but I am having trouble coming to grips with the fact that I am moving away in 17 days, but here I am, throwing all of my clothes in a box to take to goodwill.

Actually, I didn't get to finish sorting my clothes for charity. Every time I start packing up, my mom comes up with something else to do. Today she decided the day was too pretty for chores, so we ate lunch on the deck at Rose's. It was sweet, but I need to get to business.

On another note, I discovered some other future Malawi volunteers on the Peace Corps Journals website. It is cool to know that I will get to meet these people soon, but it makes me feel like a bit of a stalker, sneaking around, reading about my future co-workers without first saying hi. So to any fellow future Malawi volunteer/ stalkers out there who will be at the staging event in Philly on the 25th, hello- I am excited to meet you. Warm heart of Africa, here we come!

1 comment:

Meg said...

I'm another trainee in your class, and as you can see from my leaving a comment, I'm stalking everybody else too. so hi! see you in 12 days!