Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back to Work

Those of you who know me know that I worry- I worry a lot. Well, I'm happy to say that all of my worried about coming home were baseless. My student took great care of my house *AND* kept a detailed record of all the household expenses so there would be no problems when it came to paying him- I'm proud of the kid. My house is still standing (albeit crawling with ants- oh rainy season, how I missed you).

My dog is still alive, though a bit worse for wear, she had her pups when I was gone and is skinny as a rail at the moment because all of her energy is going towards making milk for her babies- also, apparently she was bit by a snake on her leg one day after they were born while she was going out to feed them at whatever strange place she gave birth to them. The wound is not infected or anything, but it is pretty gnarly- I don't want to gross anyone out *cough cough, Mom, cough* but she was bit on the part of her leg below what I learned in Coach T's class was her heel, and I can see her tendons. She has let me clean it and bandage it though, so hopefully it will heal. You know, I'm actually pretty happy my student was watching my house while she had her pups, because he knew what to do- he followed her out to the hidey hole she gave birth in, brought the pups back to my house, and then he even put ant poison outside of the storage room they are in, because I guess ants can swarm newborn puppies and kill them. Hector, for her part, seems to have grown up a lot- I'm a little sad my bouncy dog is gone, but I guess she's just concerned with eating and nursing, I think she's a good mom, as far as dogs are concerned. Her puppies are nice and fat, there are four boys and one girl, which in Malawi, is ideal, since people prefer male dogs. My head teacher already asked for one (he recently had a break in too).

Otherwise things are getting back to normal. I had a huge pile of exams to grade when I got to work today, but the grading is going quickly, I think that the change in weather is making it easier since it is much cooler now. One of my kids defined the word 'library' as 'the place where books are stolen'- I think he meant to say 'stored', but it made me laugh all the same.

Shout out to Megan & Thom, who sent me a package ages ago that I didn't get until just now, the summer sausage inside was an amazing choice. Also, I got an outstanding package from Alice who blew me away by sending an entire bag of Oreos. I cried a little. Berrios, I used the book you got me today in my Form 1 class, so Yewu, and last but not least- I finally, after many trials and tribulations, received my package from Gracie. I haven't opened it yet since I still have to bike back home after this, but I will proudly wear the world map coat to my training next week, and all of my Peace Corps friends will be jealous.

Love you all!

beeb

4 comments:

Patricia Mac Donell said...

Love you and glad to hear about the puppies - what are you going to do with them? Also, if you could have one of your friends in training take a picture of you in your world map coat, I know Gracie would appreciate (and, it would cheer her up!)

Unknown said...

IT'S ABOUT TIME! glad you got it, lady! can't wait until we see each other again!

Unknown said...

i don't know why my google account won't tell you who it is: IT'S ALICE! i'll try to get something out there soon again, hopefully you'll get it at a much more efficient time!

Unknown said...

Your kid was better then my kid. My house was a mess, the animals were not fed, but she did manage to prevent birds from hatching (apparently she got someone else to do this part). And your kid kept a detailed record~~~ Holy Cow! Though those kids might be lucky to have you, you are darn lucky to have them. I hope everything goes well for you (I've left another post on your other post). Also, share some sausage with the dog. <3