Sunday, July 25, 2010

Back at Home

So I'm back home in Chintheche. I was waiting for my water to boil for coffee when I was bothered by this awful grinding noise- it was my hot plate officially shitting out on me. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a peace corps volunteer, I don't need a hot plate, but damnit, I'm not feeling good, and I don't have a charcoal burner or a kerosene stove, and I'm on some antibiotics with questionable side affects, so the last thing I want to do is go out rousting for wood. Blargh.

I hopped on my bike and went to the town 20 minutes away, but all the shops that sell hot plates are closed, so now I'm at the internet cafe surfing my troubles away.

The President's Luncheon was really cool- the food was great. The menu listed beef, curry chicken, fish, and beans under 'main course'. We all wondered if that meant we would have to choose beef or chicken or fish or beans- luckily, this is Malawi, so we got heaping portions of each, which we devoured. There was also endless wine, champagne, beer, and Armarula (a kind of bailey's only flavored with a fruit that only grows in Southern Africa). We sat through some speeches, and Bingu called us all his children, which is too bad for him, because now we'll all be asking for packages from him every few weeks. Then he called us all out onto the dance floor where we tore it up, Bingu and his wife Callista included. I was proud of us, because we all kept it together until after we took a picture with the President. Once Bingu left though, it was all over, the dancing, oh, the dancing.

Being PCV of the week was awesome too- Esther and I were in Mpalale again, and it was great to see my host family again. Bruce, who was a puppy while I lived there, is now a full grown dog! He followed us all around the village for the entire week, and was just all around cute. I feel bad that I didn't take him back when I was a trainee, but I'm trying to convince one of the newbs to take him to site. The trainees were all so cool, we had a great time- I can't wait to work with them for the next year and a half.

I can't believe that I've been here for almost 10 months, time really goes. Sometimes it is rough being here while my friends and family are all back home, and missing out on things like the family reunion really sucks, but I'm glad to be here. I know that this is where I need to be.

2 comments:

KS Moore said...

It's been 10 months already? Wow. In so many ways it doesn't seem that long. (The Beeb Box in my living room hasn't been sitting there that long, has it?) But I love love love reading your posts and I'm so happy for you to be doing something so important and needed.

Just remember that if wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.

Beeper said...

haha, sometimes what with the way EVERYBODY knows who I am, I feel like I'm on the crummy planet where I'm a folk hero.