Monday, November 8, 2010

Home!

Today in the library there was a huge pile of books on the floor when I walked in- Mr. Simkonda and Mr. Msumba were on the floor, spider crouched, sorting through them. When I asked them 'what's all this then', they told me that the books had been donated from a school in Livingstonia that recently upgraded from being a secondary school to a University. I didn't know schools could do that.

Anyway, I started to help them sort, and I came across a book from the early 1950's called 'America in 1,000 pictures', which was just a bunch of pictures sorted by state (all 48 of 'em). I stood for about 20 minutes just looking at the cheezy 1950's pictures.

I'm going home for a visit in December though :)

Two things that are a little sad about my visit though- I won't have any pictures to show since my computer was stolen, and Chris won't be there. The pictures, well, you guys can just deal with that (and I can't put them on the internet from here, so there was no way to back them up, so please, no guilt)- but Chris' being in China- that's rough. I was planning on just doing everything with him when I got back, and soaking up his absurdity and wisdom. Plus, I don't know how I'll react to being in a country where I can wear anything and eat actual food- a place where internet and phone calls are free? Where do I go? What do I do? I wanted Chris to be there, because he would probably go with me to Meijer at 2am and not judge- and afterward, he'd fully support my desire to go into a McDonalds and ask them to make me a flurry with a pie (a plan I've been thinking of for a while). Because of this lack of little brother, I'll need other people to rally and visit, yes yes? Please come see me in Grand Rapids, I miss you all- I have made no travel plans yet, just come see me.

Take care! I'll see you all in a month!

3 comments:

Patricia Mac Donell said...

Ohhh... I miss Chris already too and he isn't gone yet! We had a wonderful party at Aunt Helen's this weekend (LOTS of good food - thank God for Auntie!). Sadly, no Chris to accompany you to Meijers at 2 am but, since you left, they did rebuild the one nearest my house so atleast there's that...the fact that you're coming though is sustaining me through Chris' departure. What's a Mother to do when all of her babies are continents away?

Unknown said...

I talked to Chris today! It was very nice. I'm so happy for him, you'll just have to plan your happy reunion. Maybe you can fly to China for his wedding ;) I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to go to Meijer with you (like me). I can't wait to see you. I've been trying to coordinate a time when we'll all be in Grand Rapids, but I've been unsuccessful in my communications (imagine that). Can't wait to see you!

pmzago said...

You flying back via South Africa or Nairobi?