Saturday, May 15, 2010

Women's Group & GAD

Hey guys!

So, I don't have a lot of time, but we had a Gender and Development meeting tonight, and were wondering if anyone wanted to maybe print off some cook books and sell them for us in the US so we could raise money for a gender equality camp we're holding. Mom, I'm looking at you on this one.

About the T-Shirts with the Malawian Rosie- The idea for those shirts were for the gender and development group, not my women's group, so the group asks that if anyone wants to sell those shirts in the US, that we split the funds between the groups. Honestly, the women's group is going pretty strong, and the girls camp needs more help at this time, so I think the money would be best used in that group anyway.

The women's group is ROCKING! This month, they started sewing school uniforms from the fabric that we bought in the capital, and they look great! We decided to sell the uniforms for about 400 Kwacha, which is maybe three bucks, and is cheaper than it would cost to even buy the fabric in the village, so I think that they'll do really well- taking things like the cost of the fabric and the labor into account, the ladies stand to make a huge profit on it, so I'm pretty proud of them. We'll see how it goes, but I think that when Piotr visits, we might be in a position to buy even more fabric and expand the operation.

The group and I talked about ways we could reach out to some of our friends in the US, like the Savories. We decided that we would try to start sewing bags or something that I can bring to the US to sell when I go home at Christmas, so that we could have a way to feel more connected or something. We also thought about sewing quilts, so if anyone is interesting on ordering a quilt to be bought when I go home, that can be arranged. The fabrics here are amazing, and it could be a really cool thing to have. I'll look into how much we'd be interested in selling it for.

Otherwise, things here are great- call me, I'd love to talk business.

Love love,

Beeb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quilts, hmm??? Veerrry interesting. Are we talking with just the squares connected, or actual quilting stitching patterns sewn in? Lemme know Beeb!!!

gomsu1988 said...

Mel,

The savories will help any way we can. What size quilt? Maybe they can make throw sized quilts, so you can make and sell more. There are three Ten Thousand Villages(see note below) in Michigan - East Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Holland. I can see if they will sell items for your group since that is their mission. I'll stop by the East Lansing store to see how they get their products.

I'd be interested in a tote bag. Your mom said that Chris is coming to visit you. Can I send money with him to pay for it?



Ten Thousand Villages. A Fair Trade Retailer.
Your fair trade purchase of handmade jewelry, home decor and gifts helps improve the lives of thousands of artisans in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East